Invisible, but indispensable: Packaging of electronic systems has the central task of consolidating different components to form a system. The wide-ranging demands placed on this technology can be summarized in four main trends:
- Customer-specific solutions in small and medium batch sizes at low manufacturing costs
- Greater functionality for the incorporating system
- Improved system reliability
- Energy efficiency and reduction of energy requirements
In order to maintain existing strengths and to take advantage of new opportunities, such as excellent value creation as a result of integration into a package of functional devices, close internal cooperation and a merging of technological possibilities are required.
- 3D system integration of digital and analog components on the wafer (use of Si interposers), and panel (SiP, SoF, embedding) levels
- Comprehensive range of technology for system-in-package (SiP) on the following levels: wafer, panel (incl. flex)
- Integration of MEMS components, sensor-actuator components and electronics
- Integration of photonic components and devices
- Assembly of RF systems
- Assembly of compact power electronics
- System integration in atypical materials for electronics (textiles, stretchable substrates)
- Draft analysis of software-based embedded systems
- Networking of embedded systems
- Tool prototypes for integration of embedded systems with multicore processors.
Our strategic aim is therefore to establish a cross-institute technology platform that will create a critical mass and will focus on Germany's industrial strengths to ensure that a significant part of the value creation can be returned to Germany. The platform being established concentrates on the following aims:
- Comprehensive range of technology for system-in-package (SiP) on the following levels: wafer and panel with system solutions from a single provider
- 3D system integration of digital and analog components with TSV in active wafers
- Integration of MEMS components and electronics including package Compact power electronics with integrated driver electronics
- Integration of photonic device and electronics
- Online networking of embedded systems with cyber physical systems
- Tool chains for comprehensive integration of embedded multicore systems
System integration rounds off the services offered by the semiconductor technology platform, meaning that the Group for Microelectronics is able to offer a comprehensive range of technology from devices to system-in-package, and indeed to capitalize on this range as a system provider would.
The "System integration" platform is the basis of a shared development of multifunctional systems that addresses different sectors in a targeted manner and is able to offer end customers attractive and fast application solutions.
We are currently establishing a comprehensive range of technology for system-in-package (SiP). The combination of two levels – wafer and panel – allows us to offer system solutions from a single provider for applications in the areas of ultra-high-frequency technology, power, photonics, and sensors and sensor systems.